Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Live performance no.4 - Only the best,better than all the rest

Jacqueline du Pré - Bach, Suites for Solo Cello No. 1 & 2
Recorded in 1962 (when she was 17)

Jacqueline Mary du Pré, (26 January 1945 – 19 October 1987) was a British cellist. At a young age, she achieved enduring mainstream popularity – unusual for a classical artist. Despite her short career,she is regarded as one of the greatest cellists of all time.
Her career was cut short by multiple sclerosis, which forced her to stop performing at the age of 28. She battled the illness for many years until her death at the age of 42.



"How wonderful!!!!! Omg!!! This brings tears to my eyes! Jackie was my girlhood friend. We met in Toronto, when she was 22 and I was 17. :) My cello teacher arranged for me to meet her at her hotel. I remember that day as though it were yesterday! She was exhausted and had slept in and had asked not to be disturbed. When she awoke she remembered we were to meet that day and she called me at my parents' house and apologized and asked if I could still come. Of course I was thrilled and had taken the day off school. "Of course I can!" I said to her and off I went. She greeted me by jumping out from behind the partially opened door and shouted "Boo!!!" and we both laughed! A fun way to start our friendship! If this is her Davidov Stradivarius that she is playing on for this recording, she let me play on it the day we met. I recall not feeling worthy and declined her invitation by saying "Oh that's ok" and smiled. She said "You cannot say no to trying the Davidov Stradivarius!" And so I took the cello and played for her. What a privilege!!! She then ordered up some biscuits and hot chocolate and we sat and shared stories and laughed together, all afternoon. As busy as she was, flying all over the world performing, we still wrote to each other, on and off, for years, until she was too ill to write me back. I treasure her letters and when I am feeling down, or when I just miss her terribly, I reread them and there she is in front of me again, smiling and looking at me so lovingly. At her request, I turned pages for her husband Daniel Barenboim at their recital here in London, Ontario. I had a dream many years before she got ill, that she would get ill and not be able to play anymore. I wrote to her of my dream. I think deep down she knew. We shared this psychic thing. I think that is why the universe brought us together. When I wrote to her of one of my love experiences, she told me in one of her letters, what she does when she is going through painful times. "One of my favorite things, is to go into a room all by myself and play Bach keeping on until I am utterly wrapped up in the music, the thrill of drawing the bow over the strings and the feeling that I am fit to burst with the beauty of it all." She said "If one truly loves music, it can be ones's most faithful and fruitful companions!" Her letters are filled with love and concern and joy. We were kindred spirits. Even though I knew what her fate would be many years before Multiple Sclerosis was diagnosed, I was still devastated by the news of her passing. I was driving and just happened to be listening to her Elgar on the car radio, on my way to teaching an early morning cello lesson. I had to pull the car over, as i was blinded by tears and could not see where I was going. I will never forget that terrible day! Jackie's Bach brings such joy to my heart"

Christine NewlandChristine Newland 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRIčE iz JUžNOG POTOKA

GaYda Mario

My photo
svakom keru je potreban kerovođa

Čitaoci